Procedure for the residence of foreign citizens

in the Russian Federation

Documents required for migration registration

A foreign citizen who first came to study at the State University of Management must apply to the Passport and Visa Department of the SUM (office number: Y-243) within 2-3 days from the date of arrival on the territory of the Russian Federation to get migration registration, having with him/her:

  • original passport & its copy valid for at least 18 months
  • original migration card & its copy with a border stamp
  • visa (for citizens of visa countries)
  • 2 matte photos, size 3×4cm
  • statement from the order of enrollment (direction paper of the Ministry of education of the Russian Federation)
  • voluntary medical insurance policy valid for 1 year.

    Based on presented documents, official members of the Passport and Visa Department prepare a set of documents for a foreign student migration registration  for a period of 90 days or for the validity of a single-entry visa issued to them (for citizens of visa countries).

To extend the migration registration, the student must apply to the Passport and Visa Department   (Y – 243) in 20 days before the end of the registration period, having a passport, a migration card, a registration notification and all copies of these documents.

In connection with the entry into force of the Federal law N 163-FZ “On amendments to the Federal law “On migration registration of foreign citizens and stateless persons in the Russian Federation””, from July 08, 2018, registration of foreign citizens must be produced in the territorial body of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation at the place of actual residence. According to the Russian Law, a foreign student is required to register for migration at the place of study if the student lives in a SUM dormitory and independently at the place of residence if he/she does not live in a dormitory.


Multiple Entry Visa Registration

     The period of temporary stay in the Russian Federation of a foreign citizen who arrived on a visa basis is determined by the validity of the visa issued to him. Students from countries with a visa entry must apply to the Passport and Visa Department not later than in 21 days before the expiration of their visa to apply for or extend a multiple-entry study visa.

To apply for a multiple-entry study visa in the territorial division of the OVM MIA (Ministry of Internal Affairs), a foreign student must submit in Y-243 a set of documents:

  • passport,
  • migration card,
  • tear-off coupon of the migration registration notification and their copies,
  • 2 photos on a matte paper (3x4cm), a receipt for payment of the state fee for visa extension in the amount of 1600 rubles.
  • fill out the visa application form.

   A foreign citizen from a country with a visa regime of stay who has not submitted documents to the University in time for a new visa granting the right to stay in the territory of the Russian Federation must leave the territory of Russia within the validity period of his / her visa and return to study under a new single-entry visa obtained on the basis of a new invitation.

   The period of temporary stay may be extended or shortened if the conditions or the circumstances have changed in connection with which he/she was allowed to enter the Russian Federation have ceased to exist.



   When foreign citizens leave the territory of the Russian Federation, they are automatically removed from the migration register (article 23 of the Federal Law “On migration registration of foreign citizens and stateless persons in the Russian Federation”).

    You must inform the passport and visa Department (Y – 243) about your intended departure from the territory of the Russian Federation, and if foreign students subsequently enter Russia, you must immediately come to the passport and visa Department to issue a new notice of migration registration.

   Violation of rules of stay, the timely migration registration, registration (renewal) visa are administrative offences stipulated by part 4 of article 18.9 of the administrative code and are subject to penalties as a fine in the amount from RUB 5000 to RUB 7000 with an administrative expulsion and entry ban to Russia in the next 3-5 years or without it.

Violations are:

  • submission of documents later than 7 days from the moment of entry into the territory of the Russian Federation
  • the provision of false documents
  • being on the territory of the Russian Federation without migration registration
  • residence in the Russian Federation without a valid visa
  • violations of laws and regulations in accordance with the Code of Administrative Offences of the Russian Federation

    Foreign citizens are required to have a passport, a migration card and a separate part of the notification of arrival to confirm the legality of their residence on the territory of the Russian Federation.

The validity of the passport of foreign citizens arriving in the Russian Federation to study should not expire earlier than after 1.5 years from the beginning of the validity date of the study visa.

    Foreign students whose national documents (a passport or other documents replacing it) expire during their education period at the University must replace them in a timely manner and provide copies to the Passport and Visa Department, not later than 5 days after receiving a new official national document, in order to make changes to the personal file with documents of the foreign student.

If you lose your passport, a migration card, or a registration notice, you must immediately inform the Police, the Passport and Visa Department and the Embassy of your country in the Russian Federation.

   Travel abroad of the RF during educational period is carried out only for valid reasons (a marriage registration, death of close relatives, etc.) and if official documents are available.

    In this case, a foreign student must write an application addressed to the Rector of the University, having received the matching signatures of the Director of the Institute.

   After graduating from the University, foreign citizens must leave the Russian Federation in the manner prescribed by Law of the RF.


Invitations for Foreign Citizens

    Passport and Visa Department at the State University provides assistance to foreign students to design an invitation for obtaining a single entry visa.

The following documents and data are required for issuing an invitation:

  • A photocopy of the first page of the passport (the image of the person must be clear, all passport data readable), the validity of the passport must not be less than 18 months at the time of opening the Russian visa
  • You must provide the country and city of birth, home address and Consulate of the Russian Federation (city) where the visa will be received.


Contact information:

  • Migration service

Migration Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia in Moscow, in the district “Vykhino-Zhulebino»

Address: Zhulebinskiy Bulvar 25.

  • Police

District Department of Internal Affairs of the Vykhino district: +7 (495) 376-13-46

Address: Sormovskaya str. 21.

  • Passport and Visa Department of SUM : +7 (495) 371-88-22

Address: Ryazansky prospect 99, Y-243, receiving documents: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday – from 10:00 to 13:30, Wednesday – not a reception day.